Auto Repair & Services
- Air Conditioning Repair
- Air Filters
- Alternator Repair
- Belt & Hose Replacement
- Brake Repair
- Car Service & Preventative Maintenance
- Cooling System Repair
- Driveline Repair
- Engine Repair
- Fluid Inspection
- Oil Changes Service
- Suspension Repair
- Tire Repair
- Tire Balancing
- Tire Installation
- Tire Rotation
- Transmission Repair
- Tune Up
- Wheel Alignments
- Windshield Wiper Blades
Batteries in Murfreesboro, TN
The automotive battery hasn’t really changed much for 70 years or more.
It’s still a heavy rubberized case with six cells that each put out a little over two volts, wired together to produce about 12 volts. Inside each cell are lead plates and a sulfuric acid solution that serves as an electrolyte. When the battery discharges, the lead plates are coated with sulfur and the battery acid turns to water again. When the battery charges and a current passes through the acid, the sulfated lead plates return their sulfur to the electrolyte again.
Today’s vehicles put a lot of demand on the battery, and extremes of heat and cold stress a battery a great deal. That’s why many batteries never seem to last through their entire warranty phase!
There are things you can do to make sure your battery lasts, though. At American Tire, our battery maintenance includes:
- Checking the battery cables and clamps for good fit and tightness
- Checking the cables, clamps, and posts for corrosion and cleaning if needed. Battery corrosion is a fluffy greenish-white buildup that can prevent the battery from receiving or delivering a charge. Anti-corrosion gel can prevent it from accumulating.
- Checking the battery’s reserve cranking amperage
- Checking the alternator and charging system for proper function
- Checking the alternator’s drive belt for tension and condition.
If your battery is on its way out, it may or may not show signs of failing. Many times, a battery that seemed fine a week ago just won’t hold or deliver a charge anymore. At American Tire, we carry top brand batteries in a wide range of sizes and price points…and we’re sure we’ve got one in stock that will be a great fit for your vehicle and your engine size.
Get Your Automotive Battery Checked at American Tire Company
Don’t just take it for granted that when you turn the key, your vehicle will start…and don’t find yourself by the side of the road or in a parking lot with a dead battery, hoping someone comes along with some jumper cables. Make an appointment with us at American Tire Company and let’s do a checkup and maintenance on your battery!