Another winter storm coming? Before you rush to the store for the last gallon of milk and loaf of bread, you’ll want to be sure your car is ready to battle the elements. Follow these tips before venturing out into the winter wonderland.
- Check your Cooling System. Have your mechanic check your hoses, belts and anti-freeze. A weakened hose or belt can break and leave you stranded, or a weak solution of anti-freeze can ice up and damage your cooling system. Hoses shouldn’t have cracks or become softened. In extreme temperature drops, keep an eye on your hoses and belts, as low temperatures can cause additional breakage or weak spots.
- Check Your Battery. Make sure your car's battery connection is clean, tight and corr ...[more]
Did you know cold weather puts an added strain on your car battery? When temperatures drop into freezing levels, your vehicle must work harder upon startup and also run its cold weather functions like heating systems, wiper blades, and the defroster. There are simple steps you can take to winterize your car battery and ensure its best performance through this chilly season:
Check the Fluid Levels:
- Pull of the cap off the battery to get to the battery acid inside.
- Using a hydrometer extract some fluid to check the level and condition
- The hydrometer tool will give you a “low”, “fair”, or “good” rating
- A ...[more]